“Special action” on the IJsselmeer and “Stunt scenes” on the North Sea

On Saturday, 24 March 2012, we roused M/Y ROLLING SWISS II from her hibernation in Medemblik, Holland, in the beautiful sunshine. We are: skipper Marc Pingoud, Walter, Pavel, Christoph, Martin and I, Peter Kumli. With shopping, a sound safety training, including educational demonstration of a “dry starts of an automatic life jacket” and the day is over very quickly getting to know of the vessel.

On Sunday, we can take the beautiful, perfectly equipped Trader 42 on first manoeuvres in Medemblik and Stavoren. Be careful! (Briefly) pimp throttle each of the two motors has 380 PS, as piers, other ships and other obstacles are otherwise very fast very close. In the evening, we moor in Enkhuizen.

Monday brings  Vice Commodore of marketing, Urs  Salvisberg, on board M/Y ROLLING SWISS IIand at  1000 H at position 52O46′ N 005O20′ E we have to find SAILING SWISS III and SMILING SWISS III. From a RIB, he commanded the CCS fleet by radio into formation. Just as the two sailing yachts under spinnaker or gennaker cruise in parallel, emerges a helicopter, with an open side door. The professional photographer Morten Strauch photographed from  the side from the helicopter! The video maker Heinz also holds on it tightly. ROLLING SWISS makes nice concentric passes between the two sailing boats.

The photo shoot takes almost an hour with direction by URS. There are certainly fantastic pictures! Also videos are shot by ROLLING SWISS II temporarily alongside SMILING SWISS III and later  SAILING SWISS III at a distance of approximately 4 meters, so that in the cockpit of can be filmed.

Innocent boaters in the area and people on land are likely to have wondered what it takes to shoot a new Bond film. The AIS image of MY ROLLING SWISS II of this morning speaks volumes (see picture).

From 27 to 29 March we cruise the narrow waters of the Wadden Sea. The city harbour in Harlingenis already closed on our arrival. With fender boards we moor up to a sheet pile wall. The tidal rise up to flood everything as planned work. The well-protected ship makes good with the “ascent”. The “descent” also passes smoothly, and in the morning, we wake up again below.

On Thursday, March 29, at 1400 we rendez-vous with “flying focus” in the North Sea, planned under the direction of Den Helder. A high wind warning is active for this day for the “German Bight” area. The north-eastern side of the island of Texel is located on the southwestern edge of this region. The skipper decides times to view the situation on thethe water and assess. It is moderate, a wind from 4 to 5 Beaufort from the same direction and a wave height of 1,5-2 meters from NNW await us – it is “go” for the next photo shoot.

Flying focus” appears on time at 1400 am. It is the company name of the aerial photographer who now appears in the plane in low-altitude flight at the meeting point – he specialises in aerial photography in strong winds about 8 BFT over the North Sea (YouTube). Today for him there is only a mild breeze but for us big waves … he gives us the instruction “full speed” against wind and waves

A true “Hell Ride” begins at a speed of about 18 knots. Pure action! -but of course always on the safe side as it should be. The boat is  immersed in the incoming waves, foam covered the Control Panel, for a moment you can see only water, then the Trader 42 moves out again. Time and again, the aircraft emerges with the professional ship photographer. It flies to our ship at heights of 5 to 20 metres above the Wellenkämmen.

Now comes the instruction to sail M/Y ROLLING SWISS II at her hull speed (about 8 kn) against the wind and waves. Later “full speed” is desired again, because now some video sequences are to be shot. At the end, the aircraft flies a short mile ahead, us communicated by radio, that he would now fly past to leave in the low-altitude flight to Gegenkurs on our side, and thanks us for our cooperation. He even roars the Cessna around 5 meters over the Wellenkämmen and with the right wing tip 10 meters from our helm, climbs high and disappears – thanks to Herman Achteraus-: you are doing a great job!

Slightly shaken today after the shoot, but the passage of the  lock at den Oever and the night journey to Medemblik lies ahead of u. After the traffic on the bridge is stopped, the keeper radioed us, that, the bridge,  due to a technical malfunction could not be opened. The cars are allowed to drive again. We are and wait for more news. Two customs officials come on for a routine check. When they realised how professional  the CCS boats are in dealing with authorities, they leave us again soon without having looked into the ship itself. Half an hour later (coincidentally?) the bridge works again.

The lock traversed, we make our way to the outer pier in the Marina of den Oever. After the delicious spaghetti prepared by Pavel, we wait until it is dark night and then continue in the direction of Medemblik. Initially through a buoyed area  where it is clear how difficult it is to navigate at night and know which navigation mark is which! Early in the morning we arrive in Medemblik.

The short drive to Enkhuizen at noon is followed by the usual refuelling and cleaning of the vessel, packing and the last dinner together. Saturday morning and the boat is then taken over by our successors.

Thank you very much our skipper for the tireless support in our training and the many new skills that he has given us. A very educational and action-packed week has passed by rapidly.

Peter Kumli, Member of the crew

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.