All at Sea!

Friday 17.9.2010:- All the crew members arrived… then we had an excellent dinner and social gathering in the evening

Saturday 18.9.2010:- After taking over the yacht and a big shopping expedition (no, no we don’t cook on board!) we went out for the first trip to become acquainted with Trader 42… positive first impression!

Sunday 19.9.2010:- Heading from Brighton to Cowes (Isle of Wight), the weather changed and we were suddenly dealing with 2m waves. We felt like were in a washing machine…the whole program: prewash, main wash and spinning!

However, during this 8 hours of bad weather, the Trader 42″Rolling Swiss” steadily ploughed through stream and waves. Even with “cross sea” the yacht was easy going and always reliable.

After reaching our destination port we checked the kitchen… and everything was still intact!

Monday  20.9.2010:- We visited Queen Victoria’s “Summer Cottage”, Osborn House. There is a marvelous garden with a glorious view out to sea.

Then we went on to Yarmouth, an idyllic small town, where we enjoyed the local restaurants.

Tuesday  21.9.2010:- In the morning we visited the Archeological Underwater Museum and the Aquarium in Fort Victoria, Yarmouth. Later, after lengthy discussions we decided to surround the Needles and then to head for Lymington. The Needles tickled our ambitions to take some beautiful pictures. The best view found, the helmsman had to keep the yacht in position to allow everybody to shoot his pictures. A real challenge, but worthwhile, as we all got the pictures we wanted!

With high speed, we pressed on to Lymington, made a “precision landing” in the harbor. Happily we found a nice pub with excellent food.

Wednesday 22.9.2010:- After some launching maneuvres in the port (each crew member must be able to control the yacht) we left in the direction of Buckler’s Hard up the Beaulieu river.

Half the crew went out by dinghy to announce our arrival to the harbor master. The rest of the crew took a refreshing bathe in the river!

Thursday  23.9.2010:- Our last day at sea, before handing over the next crew. Heading into Portsmouth- even though were on a quite important and very nice yacht-  suddenly we felt very small! From right and left, and back and front, we were surrounded by big tankers, ferries and luxury liners.

When we reached the port, we had a final dinner at a nice Indian restaurant to round off our trip.

Friday  24.9.2010- A visit on the Submarine Museum, Portsmouth and then we had to “clear ship” for the next crew and say goodbye to “Rolling Swiss”.

Rudolf Zürcher, CCS, September 2010


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.